Why would people play the HL2 beta???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mistress said:
Your not an admin, dont go telling them who and who should'nt be banned.

Going by your logic, we aren't the developers, so we shouldn't be talking about Half-Life 2.

I downloaded the leak, frankly I dont care what people say about me now.

It only goes to show that you don't give a flying **** about Valve or HL2.

Eternity said:
Does anyone else find this hilarious?

Well, I don't.

The sentiment was true, even if my actual comment was deliberately overstated. Mod teams that have used the leak to develop their mods should be taken outside and shot. In the kneecaps.

And we do know who they are. There's a few mods that have done this that we deliberately don't report news from.

Cybernoid said:
Going by your logic, we aren't the developers, so we shouldn't be talking about Half-Life 2.

It only goes to show that you don't give a flying **** about Valve or HL2.

If you had said "Going by your logic, we aren't the developers, so we should'nt be telling them how to make the game" might of made sence.

And it does'nt go to show anything, valve will get my money when HL2 comes out, I downloaded the leak to see how hl2 was doing so far. I did'nt get the leak to mod, I did'nt get it to make multiplayer cheats. So... shush Cybernoid.

The Mistress said:
I downloaded the leak, frankly I dont care what people say about me.

Oh good. In that case, you're an utter retard, born with the morals of a half-strangled weasel that has spent most of it's life carousing and philandering, while regularly enjoying the company of satan's own filthy whores. And you like to fellate small mammals.

PiMuRho said:
Oh good. In that case, you're an utter retard, born with the morals of a half-strangled weasel that has spent most of it's life carousing and philandering, while regularly enjoying the company of satan's own filthy whores. And you like to fellate small mammals.

I care as much as the next person about the hacker who stole the code, but im not going to hide behind a wall and say I did'nt download the leak to see what the games like. I dont agree that mod makeing or cheat makeing is fine though.

The Mistress said:
If you had said "Going by your logic, we aren't the developers, so we should'nt be telling them how to make the game" might of made sence.

Valve relies on its fans to give feedback.

I downloaded the leak to see how hl2 was doing so far.

I have a feeling that Valve doesn't want you to steal their unfinished product?

PiMuRho said:
Well, I don't.

The sentiment was true, even if my actual comment was deliberately overstated. Mod teams that have used the leak to develop their mods should be taken outside and shot. In the kneecaps.

And we do know who they are. There's a few mods that have done this that we deliberately don't report news from.
Could you tell me the mods that are doing this? Or I suppose I could do a little research and find out on my own.

I know Valve does'nt want people to do that. Duh. Valve are more upset about the fact people will be useing this too exploit multiplayer, and people who will be makeing money by selling the leak. For anyone stupid enough to buy it.

CB | Para said:
And which problem might that be?

The problem

- People who download it and share it.
- People who sell it.
- People useing it to Mod.
- People useing it for exploits of some kind, like multiplayer cheats.

People who are not part of the prob (as far as I see it anyways).

- People who play it just to see what its like so far, and dont share it.

...Thats people much it heh. Its safe to say most of people downloading it are part of the prob, but there a smaller number who dont share it (for example I did'nt use BT to download it, thus I did'nt even upload it at all).

Foxtrot said:
Could you tell me the mods that are doing this? Or I suppose I could do a little research and find out on my own.

I'm not saying anything yet. A look at certain HL2 site forums will tell you though.

Cybernoid said:
You don't see the leak as a problem?

Not really no, I mean here we are almost a year later and what are the consequences?

Valve is still here, and the game is still on track.

CB | Para said:
Not really no, I mean here we are almost a year later and what are the consequences?
We won't know until the game is released.

CB | Para said:

Too be fair, there was consequences. Valves morale was down alot that they stoped working (or draged on slowly) for a month or two cus they where depressed about getting hacked.

CB | Para said:

Valve is still here, and the game is still on track.

In that case, I'm sure you wouldn't mind if the code was stolen all over again the game pushed back.

Esquire said:
"Why would people play the HL2 beta???"

Let's run a scenario...
There's this girl you know called Hl2. So far she's shown you some small glimpses of herself and from what you've seen, she is so far, truly beautiful. Aroused, you go to Hl2 and you're like "hey HL2 can we get it on?" and HL2's like "sorry sweetie, but i dont wanna get it on 'til i'm married."

So you're like, "ggggod daaamn!!! what am i to do now?".

And all this time HL2's still teasing you, showing you sexy videos of what her engine can do, and much much more.

So you starting to lose it now. Patience is wearing thin.

You can either;
(a) Patiently wait for Hl2 to marry you.
OR
(b) Wait for Hl2 to marry but do some masturbation over the sneak peaks she gives you.
OR
(c) Get it on with Hl2's uglier younger sister (and risk getting into some shit if certain people find out).

So basically, some people just cant wait to get married to Hl2, so have to indulge in her uglier, undeveloped, younger sister. They've been blinded by her beauty and just cannot control their animal instincts. They have to have her.

But i think on the average, people will just perform some masturbation. That way, nobody gets hurt.

Usually.

is Esquire a HL2.net celebrity yet? :E
that is one hellva analogy... :LOL:

Cybernoid said:
In that case, I'm sure you wouldn't mind if the code was stolen all over again the game pushed back.

Im sorry but your quite dense if you think the game was pushed back sololy on the leak. If you HAD of played the leak (that im sure you have'nt) the game was no where NEAR done.

Yes I would mind, personally I hate these wannabe hackers, my pc got raped just a few days ago - long story short I'd kill these guys if I could get my hands on 'em. What I'm saying that in the end, the leak didn't cause any harm, it just looked very bad in the heat of the moment. And honestly I don't believe the leak caused the delay, the game wasn't ready - no I'm not saying this because I played the stolen build, I just saw screenshots.

Besides all that commotion gave Valve major publicity on every news site around the world and you know what they say, "any publicity is good publicity" but that's a whole other debatable subject.

The Mistress said:
Im sorry but your quite dense if you think the game was pushed back sololy on the leak. If you HAD of played the leak (that im sure you have'nt) the game was no where NEAR done.

They have to rewrite networking code, at the very least.

Impulse147 said:
it got boring quick, 90% of the textures were missing, whole reason i dled it was to kinda get a rough benchmark test.

90% ???? what leak where you playing? lol

if you got bored with the physics quick, then well, you obviously werent that creative. or the old G card wasnt up to the task.

Cybernoid said:
They have to rewrite networking code, at the very least.

Thats why I said soloy :) They had to rewrite some of the code sure, but I doubt they pushed them back a whole year.

CB | Para said:
And honestly I don't believe the leak caused the delay, the game wasn't ready - no I'm not saying this because I played the stolen build, I just saw screenshots.

im not gonna debate whether the game was ready or not.. because it looked like it wasn't quite done (i haven't played the stolen build or seen anything from it) plus factor in that Steam was so buggy and unstable at the time that i don't think a release would be possible then.

as far as the stolen build goes.. and how much damaging it can be? well perhaps we should wait til the game is released first.

sure Valve worked on it.. "reworked the code" but the fact is the stolen code is still out there.. and if that code helps a hacker even a still, it can compromise Steam and/or the thought of hackers running rampant... at least temporarily until Valve would release an update to address something like this.

Dr. Freeman said:
sure Valve worked on it.. "reworked the code" but the fact is the stolen code is still out there.. and if that code helps a hacker even a still, it can compromise Steam and/or the thought of hackers running rampant... at least temporarily until Valve would release an update to address something like this.

Freeman are you talking about hackers as cheaters in online MP games? because
if you are let me reassure you VAC will get them on the first day of release.

CB | Para said:
Freeman are you talking about hackers as cheaters in online MP games? because
if you are let me reassure you VAC will get them on the first day of release.

that is assuming Valve will have addressed the issue of hackers using the stolen code to stop the hackers from cheating online.. that also assumes Valve would know what part of that stolen code the hackers would use for cheating purposes.

i think in a case like that.. Valve would release an update but not as soon as u think they would...simply cause Valve would need to figure out how their anti-cheating system is being compromised.

The Mistress said:

I'm sorry but you're quite dense if you think that's what he said. He said the leak contributed.

I'm fed up with these beta-playing retards with 2 posts to their name trolling around the forum. :sleep:

RoguePsi said:
I'm fed up with these beta-playing retards with 2 posts to their name trolling around the forum. :sleep:

I called him quite dence.. and thats trolling? I have less post counts then you.. so Im a troll? And I used the beta so im a retard? Hm.. I can see you dont last long around here if you dont have a good post count, pitty. I dont see why your takeing so bad, Cyber did'nt..

So people that have used the beta leak deserve to be called names, apposed to all the rest of the people that have downloaded mp3's, movies and other games?

Don't put yourselves above other people when you know your as bad as the rest of us.

Seems so Bicka, im sure the saints have never downloaded an mp3.. >_>

Its pathetic, they'll say they haven't just to keep the arguement going. The truth is we know more than half of them are lying...

The Mistress said:
I called him quite dence.. and thats trolling? I have less post counts then you.. so Im a troll? And I used the beta so im a retard? Hm.. I can see you dont last long around here if you dont have a good post count, pitty. I dont see why your takeing so bad, Cyber did'nt..

don't listen to the few idiots around here... their "holier than thou" attitude doesn't prove a thing.. especially when they turn around and download an mp3 or something.

i did not download the stolen build... and don't have a problem with others that did...frankly i see it their loss.. as small as that might be..

Bicka said:
So people that have used the beta leak deserve to be called names, apposed to all the rest of the people that have downloaded mp3's, movies and other games?

Don't put yourselves above other people when you know your as bad as the rest of us.

I don't see how a few mp3s are even remotely comparable.

Cybernoid said:
I don't see how a few mp3s are even remotely comparable.

They still stoalen, music makers still lose money, its still thieft.

Record sales haven't been affected, they even may have been boosted due to mp3s. And this isn't about sales, either, it's about principle.

Yeah its not about sales - Its about theft, the word you accidently forgot to say intead of principle.

Yeah I'd say this thread has gone on long enough.

Effect of downloading an MP3 = potential sales loss for some artists (potential gain for others).

Downloading the stolen version of HL2 isn't the same thing, it would be if the game was complete and people were warezing it but thats not what we are talking about here.

Cybernoid said:
Record sales haven't been affected, they even may have been boosted due to mp3s. And this isn't about sales, either, it's about principle.

Record sales haven't been affected? How on earth do you know, if they have not been affected, do you think there would would such tight laws on music download?

And whats different.. "Principle" wise, about downloading stolan music, or stolan games?

And "Mp3s boost record sales" is the most stupidist thing I've ever read. Really. hehe.

The Mistress said:
And "Mp3s boost record sales" is the most stupidist thing I've ever read. Really. hehe.
I don't want to get this far off-topic as this discussion is what the off-topic boards are for, but I will say that many artists have seen an increase in revenue as a result of mp3 downloading. Its because many artists make most of their money from concerts, not CD's, and when people download their music for free its like free adverstising for them and it results in more people going to their concerts. Naturally this is not happening for every artist but it is happening for alot of them.

So yes, mp3 downloading has actually been a good thing for some artists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back